Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Bomb Threat Evacuates Parts of DFW Terminal A - NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth


Portions of Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport's Terminal A were evacuated Wednesday night because of a bomb threat to an American Airlines flight.

The Transportation Security Administration said a caller directed threats at two American Airlines flights between Austin-Burgstrom International Airport and DFW Airport. American Airlines said Flight 1072 was threatened and that another flight was checked on the ground in Austin.

A threat was also made to an Air Canada flight between Austin and George Bush International Airport in Houston, the TSA said.

All three flights landed without incident, the TSA said.

Flight 1072 and its 108 passengers and five crew members arrived from Austin at about 6:53 p.m. as scheduled. The plane taxied into Gate 19 at Terminal A, DFW Airport said.

A flight attendant who was on the plane said passengers had already gotten off the plane when airport security told the flight crew to also deboard so the plane could be searched. The threat against Flight 1072 was received after passengers had deplaned, the airport said.

The plane was towed to an isolation area for screening. Airport police and canine units did not find anything suspicion in two sweeps of the MD-80.

The Austin airport said a caller to the airport's main telephone line said a bomb was on a flight headed to Dallas/Fort Worth. The airport originally thought the caller was talking about Flight 872, which had not yet taken off.

The caller later confirmed he was referring to Flight 1072, which was already enroute when the call came in.

The Austin airport said it checked the Flight 872, which was still at the gate, even though it was not the flight the caller threatened.

Austin airport spokesman Jason Zeilinski originally said the caller claimed two bombs were on two different planes that were on their way to Dallas-area airports. The Austin airport also originally said one of the flights was headed to Dallas Love Field.

Love Field officials said no threats were directed at any of its flights.

DFW Airport security cleared an area around gates A19 and A20 and moved travelers to other gates while they screened Flight 1072's aircraft. The gates were closed for about 90 minutes.

The security checkpoint near Gate A21 was closed until about 9 p.m.

Flight 1072 continued on to Philadelphia International Airport on a different aircraft.

DFW Airport officials said operations continued as normal in other terminals as well as the other Terminal A gates.

Passengers saw flight delays even as portions of the airport reopened. Click here for DFW Airport flight information.

NBC 5's Amanda Guerra contributed to this report.

No comments:

Post a Comment